Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sans the Snark

Today, I feel like doing one of those long, rant-y pieces about how I spent my day. Part of me realizes that that is essentially what a blog is, but I normally try to make it fun and entertaining. Like if I wanted to entertain you right now, I'd be adding snarkier commentary and a substantial amount of sass. The only difference between today and other days is that today the sass and snark will not be intentionally added. Don't fret though, I'm certain that my natural tendencies will be enough to suffice.

I started the day the best way possible: waking up at noon after staying up til 4 in the morning watching TV the night before. It was my own fault really, for not having the sheer will-power to resist the infinite charms of Zach Braff in Scrubs. I deliriously awoke from my slumber and shlepped my way to the computer. Approximately 40 vlogbrothers videos later, I decided it was finally time to face the music. I couldn't put it off any longer. Day after day it stared me in the face--taunting me, pushing me, daring me... I had to start editing my NaNo novel.

Fingers trembling, I opened my word document. And to my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty bad. But, it was salvageable. I got about 70 pages into my proof read (out of 164 pages, so not bad,) before I got sick of my story and had to do something else. I decided on reading.

The best part about winter is by far the ambiance it creates for reading. I feel so much better with a book in my hands if I get to be snuggled in a blanket, holding a cup of hot chocolate, reading by the glow of the lights hanging on the Christmas tree. It also helped that the novel I was reading centered around Christmas. (Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, in case you were wondering.)

My mood dropped a little while later when my mom told me I had to leave for rehearsal. My entire being wanted nothing more than to stay under my blanket where I was warm and happy and didn't have to mentally exhaust myself by being around people who weren't fictional. But I pulled on my big girl pants, (literally, because I was still in my pajamas) and went to rehearsal. (Not for my school's musical.)

I arrived and wasn't surprised when only 5 of our 7 cast members were there (myself included.) We had been meeting once a week since October and still hadn't had a class where all of us were present. It was a pretty lax rehearsal, which I was thankful for. I didn't have the energy for intense acting today. We sat in a circle and had a read-through of our show. The show we are doing is pretty unconventional. It's made up of a bunch of scenes from other plays that center around a recurring theme, with pieces we wrote ourselves added in to fill up gaps. Not everyone is in every scene. It's mostly monologues, one-on-one scenes, and a few that feature everybody. So, on the scenes that we weren't in, a couple other girls and I formed this odd pig pile. If you're a girl, you probably know the one I'm talking about, and if you're a boy, you've probably seen it before. It should be uncomfortable and awkward, but it's just not. You all just kind of fit together to form this giant estrogenic entity. It was fun.

I left class feeling warm after bonding with a group of girls whom I had been in several productions with but never really connected with until this year. It really goes to show how powerful an intimate setting can be. All the shows I had been in with my friends before they were my friends had a cast of at least 25. It took being in this smaller show to make us realize how cool the other people were.

I arrived at home feeling invigorated. In case you didn't already know, Starkid (the people behind A Very Potter Musical) released the script and soundtrack for the last installment of the Potter musicals, A Very Potter Senior Year, yesterday. I hadn't gotten the chance to read it yet. That was remedied an hour ago when my brother and I dawned our wizarding robes and wands, and read the script aloud to each other, complete with terrible british accents. We got about 20 pages in before our voices got too hoarse from laughing and screaming. I feel like I should mention that my brother is 22. You wish you had my family.

I'm still reading the script now and, oh my gosh you guys, it's hilarious and heartbreaking and full of Hunger Games references. It's everything I hoped it would be. I'm gonna go read some more now. If you need me, I will be laughing and crying and wishing I had a tub of Red Vines. See you tomorrow.

Tonight's ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas Feature: Toy Story 3 (So confused.)
Christmas-tastic Thing of the Day: Typing "Christmas" into Google images and the first thing popping up being a screen shot from South Park. Da heck?

No comments:

Post a Comment